The book is unique because instead of being straightforward with events, it is written in a more poetic way with many similes and metaphors. The reader must be very mature and intelligent to understand what is really going on. There is no obvious plot to the book, other than the fact that Esperanza is starting to grow up and become sexually mature. Most of the book contains Esperanza's observations of her neighbors, family and friends. There are not many books written this way, which makes Sandra Cisneros, the author, a very clever woman.
While reading this book, I began to wonder if this was a true story, possibly about the author when she was a little girl. Because, if you think about it, in the end she decides to write about a girl who doesn't belong, just like she felt like she didn't belong on Mango Street. Maybe the author didn't live on Mango Street and befriend girls named Rachel, Lucy or Sally, but I, personally, think that she might have been in a situation where she didn't belong, and wrote about it. I also think that the writer was unique by not just writing about a coming-of-age story that either ended depressing or with a perfect life, but sends a positive message to girls who feel like they don't belong, and showing them that running away isn't always the answer because there's always another way. Esperanza's way was spreading her story.
I think the book is unique because it's a very interesting book. There aren't too many books that write about the sexual maturity of kids around our age, so I think that that helps make it different and a good book to read. The characters in the story also make the book great to read. Because a couple of the characters realize how un-alike they are. Like when Esperonza realizes that Sally is very used to and enjoys acting like she's grown up when she kissed a couple of boys just to get her keys back. Esperonza isn't ready to be like that. Over-all the book was very good and different from a lot of the books I've read. I enjoyed it.
3 comments:
The book is unique because instead of being straightforward with events, it is written in a more poetic way with many similes and metaphors. The reader must be very mature and intelligent to understand what is really going on. There is no obvious plot to the book, other than the fact that Esperanza is starting to grow up and become sexually mature. Most of the book contains Esperanza's observations of her neighbors, family and friends. There are not many books written this way, which makes Sandra Cisneros, the author, a very clever woman.
While reading this book, I began to wonder if this was a true story, possibly about the author when she was a little girl. Because, if you think about it, in the end she decides to write about a girl who doesn't belong, just like she felt like she didn't belong on Mango Street. Maybe the author didn't live on Mango Street and befriend girls named Rachel, Lucy or Sally, but I, personally, think that she might have been in a situation where she didn't belong, and wrote about it.
I also think that the writer was unique by not just writing about a coming-of-age story that either ended depressing or with a perfect life, but sends a positive message to girls who feel like they don't belong, and showing them that running away isn't always the answer because there's always another way. Esperanza's way was spreading her story.
I think the book is unique because it's a very interesting book. There aren't too many books that write about the sexual maturity of kids around our age, so I think that that helps make it different and a good book to read. The characters in the story also make the book great to read. Because a couple of the characters realize how un-alike they are. Like when Esperonza realizes that Sally is very used to and enjoys acting like she's grown up when she kissed a couple of boys just to get her keys back. Esperonza isn't ready to be like that. Over-all the book was very good and different from a lot of the books I've read. I enjoyed it.
Post a Comment